Brown butter Cookies with white chocolate, almonds and peanuts.
Since I moved to Croatia in 2016, I’ve developed the mother of all sweet tooth’s. This is partly down to the amount of bakeries that cover every street in Zagreb, the selection of desserts and kolaci that can be irresistible when tackling that after lunch sugar and caffeine crave. When it comes to “krafne” I can easily sit back and scoff 8-10 minimum in a row bez problema, no joke it has been done! However, “krafne” aside, cookies are my “go to” addictive little crispy circles of joy, and THESE are by far my favourite. The best I have ever made, they are crisp, sweet, salty, nutty, and packed with melting buttery white chocolate.
The combination of toasted almonds and peanuts, which infuses every bite, with melting white chocolate is a combination everyone needs to try. Not to mention the secret ingredient; brown butter.
My perfect cookie is thick, and packed with nuts and chocolate, not thin dry “bračani” cookies that taste like sweet cardboard. For these cookies I recommend making them 50-60 g, one is enough for a person but 10 is also doable.
150 g + 100 g Butter
335 g flour (glatko)
1 tsp. bicarbonate soda
¼ tsp. salt
200 g sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
100 g white chocolate
50 g almond
100 g salted peanuts
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place 150 g of the butter into a small saucepan and melt on a medium heat, continue to „cook“ the butter until it turns dark brown, and smells rich and nutty. Place in a dish and refrigerate until solid.
- Put the other 100 g butter in a mixing bowl (paddle attachment) and add in the solid browned butter, vanilla, and sugar. Beat on a medium speed until smooth and a little fluffy, this takes around 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to slow and add in the egg yolk and egg; continue to beat for a further 3 minutes.
- Put in the flour, salt, and soda and mix until just combined, you should be able to see a little flour around the loose dough.
- Toast the almonds in a hot pan until brown, and all the oils have been released, chop them, and add to the mix. Chop the chocolate and peanuts and add them at this stage as well.
- Gently combine the mixture and roll into a cylinder, wrap in baking paper and place in the fridge for two hours.
- Preheat your oven to 165 C (fan). Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and cut into 1 ½ cm thick rounds, place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake the cookies for around 15 mins (a little chewy in the middle), or, 17 mins (crisp and melting). Leave to cool( if you can resist), and Enjoy.